City of Burlington reduces red tape when getting a construction permit


Published December 21, 2022 at 4:43 pm

A change in the way the City of Burlington processes some construction permits should ease issues for local pedestrians.

Anyone doing work involving a City-owned right-of-way such as a road, sidewalk or boulevard needs a permit. This could include utilities, road construction or other work.

Beginning Jan. 1, a separate Road Occupancy Permit for construction projects is no longer needed and will be included in the Municipal Consent permit. This will provide better road, sidewalk and boulevard management during a construction project.

“Construction projects can create issues with the roads, sidewalks and the flow of traffic. This change to how we process permits will allow for better planning and oversight,” said Scott Hamilton, director of Engineering Services.

“We want to help minimize impacts to residents and simplify the process for our business community. Creating a better outcome for our community is important to our work.”

In the new year, requests to occupy the right-of-way for more than five days will be completed under a Municipal Consent (MC) permit.

This is good news for residents to lessen impacts in their neighbourhood. The change will also make it easier and faster to process an application. This will better serve the development community, utility owners and regional partners.

All applications can be submitted through [email protected].

INsauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising