Cineplex saw 91 per cent fewer moviegoers this summer, sales drop 85 per cent
TORONTO -- Cineplex says its sales this summer were more than 85 per cent lower than summer 2019, as the COVID-19 pandemic contributed to a 91 per cent drop in movie-goers.
The Toronto-based theatre chain says it ended the third quarter with a net loss of $121.2 million, or $1.91 per share, whereas this time last year, Cineplex had turned a profit of $13.4 million, or 21 cents per share.
The company says it had revenue of $61 million in the three months ending Sept. 30, down from $418.4 million during the same period in 2019.
Analysts surveyed by Refinitiv expected Cineplex to lose $57.3 million, or $1.31 per share, on revenue of nearly $75.2 million.
Cineplex re-opened its full chain of theatres with limited showtimes and seating on Aug. 21, but was able to draw only 1.6 million people to theatres during the quarter, down from 17.5 million last summer, even with the release of the much-anticipated movie, Tenet.
The company, which is still awaiting trial over a broken deal to buy Cineworld, says it has raised an extra $303 million in credit, reduced costs on leases by $58 million and received about $22.5 million in wage subsidies.
- Cineplex loses $178.4M in first quarter as revenues plunge with theatre closures
- Indigo loses $171 million in Q4 after taking large impairment, tax charges
- Cineplex’s takeover by U.K.-based Cineworld approved by shareholders
- Quebec ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot; $1 million prize won in Ontario
- Cineworld scraps $2.8-billion takeover of Cineplex, setting up legal battle
- Police searching for missing 13-year-old girl last seen driving a car in Mississauga
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- Construction coming to busy GO Station and street to make way for Hurontario LRT in Mississauga
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules