Church services and apple fritters: A (very) brief history of Hamilton’s 211 Locke Street South in photos
Published November 3, 2020 at 11:36 am
The mid-century building at 211 Locke St. S has hosted church services, coffee and apple fritter enthusiasts, and movie shoots. The latter two occurred over the last few years but for most of its history, the currently vacant commercial space was a haven for Hamiltonians looking to worship — and, who knows, maybe the German Church of God served coffee and apple fritters, as well.
The Church of God is now a non-denominational house of prayer at 265 Bowman St. after selling the building to the First Unitarian Church in 1986.
The First Unitarian Church of Hamilton (est. 1889) owned the property on Locke until 1998 before it was sold and repurposed for commercial use.
(Vintage church photos courtesy of the First Unitarian Church of Hamilton)insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising