Child care centre for children of front line workers opening in Mississauga
If you're a front line worker who needs child care, you might be relieved to hear that a child care centre exclusively for the children of essential workers is opening in Mississauga.
Nina Tangri, the MPP for Mississauga-Streetsville, recently announced that the Falconer YMCA child care centre (114 Falconer Dr.) will open for frontline workers.
The centre is located in the Creditview Rd. and 401 area.
Recently, the Ontario government—which mandated the closure of all schools and daycare centres in response to the COVID-19 pandemic—announced that it's exempting certain childcare centres from closure in order to support nurses, doctors, and frontline care workers across the province.
"During these challenging times, our government is supporting our courageous frontline workers with emergency childcare centres so they can rest assured knowing their children are being looked after in a safe place," said Tangri in a statement.
"Our frontline workers will have access to safe, local child care centres, making it easier for health care and other frontline workers to do their jobs."
As emergency child care centres open, a list of locations will be made available here.
Ontario public schools will remain closed to teachers until Friday, May 1, 2020, and to students until Monday, May 4, 2020. The province says that school closures could be extended further, depending on how the pandemic continues to unfold in the province.
Private schools, licensed child care centres and EarlyON programs will also remain closed for the time being.
- Peel opens emergency child care centres amid COVID-19 outbreak to support health care and frontline workers
- Ontario to keep some child care centres open to help health care workers
- Ontario government extends free child care to grocery, pharmacy workers
- Province preventing child care centres from collecting payment during COVID-19
- Ontario to offer emergency child care to more frontline staff amid COVID-19 outbreak
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: World's largest cargo plane lands at Pearson Airport with medical supplies
- Worker at grocery store in Mississauga tests positive for COVID-19
- A look at what’s open and closed as Mississauga reopens more outdoor amenities
- Power outage in Mississauga affecting 2,000 homes and businesses
- A severe thunderstorm watch is now in effect for Mississauga