Changes Coming to Speed Limit on Major Roads
Commuters beware, the speed limits have been changed on two major roads in Mississauga.
So be sure to give your speedometer a few extra checks the next time you’re in the area.
The Region of Peel Council enacted a new by-law during an April meeting to reduce the speed limits on Regional Road 3 (Britannia Road) from 70 km/h to 60 km/h and on Creditview Road from 60km/h to 50km/h.
The current speed limits are in line with what is considered adequate for current road geometrics and conditions. Changes were requested due to complaints from concerned residents who believed the speed limit was too high on Britannia Road.
Councillors discussed the issue and also extended the review to Terry Fox Way/Silken Naumann Way.
A number of things are considered when reviewing or setting speed limits, such as: vehicle operating speeds, adjacent developments, collision history, pedestrian activity, driveway spacing and the location of signalized intersections.
In this circumstance, the Britannia Road and Terry Fox Way/Silken Naumann Way speed limits were changed due to the parks and trails, schools, community centre and increased pedestrian activity within the radius of the study area.
The details of the by-law are as follows, By-Law Number 18-2018:
A by-law to reduce the speed limits on Regional Road 3 (Britannia Road) from 70 km/h to 60 km/h from 70 metres east of Terry Fox Way/Silken Laumann Way to 70 metres east of Creditview Road, and from 60 km/h to 50km/h from 70 metres east of Creditview Road to 200 metres west of Tillsdown Road/River Grove Avenue; and, teamed By-law Number 15-2013 being a by-law to regulate traffic on roads under the jurisdiction of The Regional Municipality of Peel.
The new by-law is actually a change to an existing by-law Number 15-2013. The existing by-law was put in place in 2013 when the Region of Peel was working to regulate traffic.
The speed limits set on roads are granted by the Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) through the Highway Traffic Act (HTA).
The City of Mississauga can set speed limits ranging from 40 to 80km/h in 10 km/h intervals.
- Speed limits being lowered on busy road in Mississauga
- UPDATE: City officially lowers speed limits in 11 neighbourhoods
- Speed Limits Being Lowered in Parts of 10 Mississauga Neighbourhoods
- Ontario Pilot Program to Raise Highway Speed Limits
- Ontario could be increasing speed limits on 400-series highways
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- Costco scam targeting residents in Mississauga and Brampton
- Another 7 flights with 38 rows affected land with COVID-19 at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- Mississauga's 5 ugliest buildings
- Motorcyclist hospitalized after colliding with vehicle in Mississauga