Changes coming to garbage and recycling rules and procedures in Mississauga
If you live in the Region of Peel (Mississauga, Brampton or Caledon), you should note that the spring garbage exemption period has been suspended in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to the region, it's been suspended to minimize manual collection and ensure worker safety.
That said, residents can continue to put out up to two extra bags on their garbage collection day and no garbage tags are needed. Residents should note that bulky items will not be collected at the curb or accepted at Peel Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) until further notice.
As far as CRCs go, residents who drop off larger loads will now be charged.
Effective June 11, CRCs will allow visitors to drop off up to 100 kg of excess waste, once per day, with no fees. However, standard fees will apply to anything over the 100 kg limit.
Payment can only be made using debit or credit and cash will not be accepted.
No fees will apply to loads of only scrap metal and blue box recyclables.
CRCs have implemented physical distancing measures and have limited the number of vehicles allowed in at any one time. As such, residents should be aware that there may be delays.
"Residents are reminded to dispose of only what they need to during this emergency. If working on any home renovation projects, please note that ceramic, porcelain and other renovation material are not recyclable and should be brought to a CRC for disposal," the region said in a news release.
"In addition, batteries are considered household hazardous waste and should also be taken to a CRC for safe disposal. Do not place batteries in the garbage or recycling bin."
At this time, Peel's reuse drop-off locations are closed. Any reusable goods brought to a CRC will be put into the garbage and sent to landfill.
CRCs are not accepting tires, electronic waste, large appliances or bulky items until further notice.
Residents should note that some CRCs are now operating with extended summer hours and are open until 8:00 pm. CRCs with these hours include:
- Fewster and Heart Lake CRCs - Thursdays only
- Battleford and Brampton CRCs - Mondays only
For more information, click here.
- Some big changes coming to garbage and recycling in Mississauga
- Changes coming to garbage pickup this winter in Mississauga
- What you need to know about waste collection over the holidays in Mississauga
- More changes coming to garbage and recycling rules in Mississauga amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Fall garbage exemption period suspended in Mississauga
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Police discover remains of deceased infant in basement of Hamilton home
- Peel District School Board issues apology for racially insensitive content on internal webpage for staff
- Mississauga pressing to enter red-zone on March 9
- Police searching for suspect in connection to stabbing in Mississauga