CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Shootout and carjacking in Mississauga, two suspects at large
Police say two men are in custody and two remain at large after officers exchanged gunfire with robbery suspects who carjacked a vehicle with a young girl inside.
Peel Regional Police say Friday’s evening’s frightening incident in Mississauga began while officers were attempting to arrest a suspect wanted in a series of financial and pharmacy robberies across the Greater Toronto Area.
Const. Danny Marttini said a suspect opened fire on the officers, who shot back.
There was no indication anyone was hit by the gunfire at Burnhamthorpe Road and Confederation Parkway, said Marttini.
Two suspects were arrested at the scene, but two others got away and carjacked a pickup truck.
“There was an eight-year-old girl on board and they dumped the girl and kept going,” said Marttini.
The officers stopped to help the girl, who despite her traumatic experience was physically uninjured. Soon after, the pickup truck was found abandoned about four kilometres away around Eglinton Avenue and Creditview Road.
Const. Akhil Mooken, who spoke to media at the scene, said police would use all their resources to bring the perpetrators in.
“We will find you,” he vowed. “Speak to a lawyer, make arrangements and turn yourself in to our investigators.
Video courtesy of areacode416ix on Instagram
- Race was a factor when Peel police officers handcuffed black girl at Mississauga school, tribunal rules
- Police investigating shooting and carjacking in Mississauga
- Police Arrest 4 Suspects After Stolen Truck Ends Up on Lawn in Mississauga
- Missing Mississauga Girl Found in Toronto
- VIDEO: Police searching for suspects in sexual assault incident in Mississauga