CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Peel police officer knees male on ground during arrest in Mississauga
A recent arrest made by Peel Police has caught the public’s attention after a video of it was posted to social media.
On Friday, July 31, Facebook user Johnny Nguyen shared a video of police arresting a male in the area of Square One, just outside the City Centre transit terminal.
An officer repeatedly orders the male to get on the ground, to which the male refuses.
Two more officers arrive at the scene and the three of them force the male to the ground.
One officer strikes the male with his knee twice during the arrest, causing some protest from Nguyen and nearby bystanders.
The full video can be seen below (viewer discretion is advised):
While the reason for the arrest and circumstances of the incident are currently unconfirmed, Nguyen alleges that police believed the male had a knife on him.
Police have not issued a public statement at this time. Insauga.com reached out to police for a comment but has not heard back at the time of publishing.
More information to come.
Photo and video courtesy of Johnny Nguyen on Facebook
According to Peel Police Cst. Sarah Patten, police were called at 7:21 p.m. on Friday for a male reporting that he was almost mugged by a man with a knife at the intersection of Square One Drive and Duke of York Boulevard.
Officers arrived at the scene and the male was arrested about 10 minutes later.
“As you can see from the video, officers are giving him demands [with] which the male is not complying,” Patten said.
The knife turned out to be a pair of scissors.
The arrested male, a 39 year old man with no fixed address, has been charged with Assault with a weapon and released with a court date in the future.
- Male and police officer taken to hospital after overnight incident in Mississauga
- UPDATE: Male arrested after dead body found in Mississauga has been released
- Male Arrested for Riding on Top of Moving Train in Mississauga
- UPDATED: Police on Scene After Male Shot in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Male in distress leads to fatal police-involved shooting in Mississauga
- Police investigating after body found in storage facility in Mississauga
- Police hoping to identify man who reversed into a woman in Mississauga
- Face-coverings now required in common areas of condos and apartment buildings in Mississauga
- The Lost Village of Summerville
- Rental prices down 10 per cent in Mississauga