CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Massive 401 Demolition in Mississauga
So, this is why the 401 was closed last night!
In the early morning hours of Sunday morning (Oct. 30), construction crews were on scene at a massive bridge demolition above highway 401 in Mississauga.
The Second Line West bridge was demolished as part of a long-term project to expand the highway. Yesterday (Oct. 29), the province issued a notice advising residents of the major construction. Lanes were closed at 9:00 p.m. and the highway in the affected area completely closed at 11:00 p.m.
During the closure, a detour route was implemented. Westbound traffic was detoured off the 401 at Mavis and eastbound traffic was detoured off at Mississauga Rd/Erin Mills Parkway.
The demolition took place just west of the Mavis interchange.
According to the Ontario Provincial Police, the demolition concluded shortly after 9:00 a.m.
As you can see from the video, the first part of the footage shows an aerial view and the second part shows a ground view of the impressive display of heavy machinery.
It also sounds like a rollercoaster the entire time.
We think it’s pretty cool.
Photo and video courtesy of Pascal Marchand
- BONUS VIDEO OF THE YEAR: Incredible Footage of 401 Bridge Demolition
- Highway 401 to be Temporarily Closed in Mississauga
- Part of Highway Closed Due to Person in Distress in Mississauga
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Firefighters Battling a Massive Blaze in Mississauga
- Part of Major Highway Closed in Mississauga After Truck Jack Knife