CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Male in distress leads to fatal police-involved shooting in Mississauga
The province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating after a 62 year old man was fatally shot by a Peel Police officer on Saturday evening, June 20.
Around 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, tactical and K9 officers attended an apartment unit at 3425 Morningstar Drive in Malton to check on the well-being of a man in crisis.
The man barricaded himself inside the unit, and officers were able to communicate with him for a period of time.
“Shortly after communication stopped, officers breached the door and entered the unit,” the SIU said.
“An interaction occurred which included officers deploying a conducted energy weapon at the man, as well as firing plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield. When these had no effect, an officer discharged a firearm and the man was struck.”
The man was pronounced dead at 8:38 p.m.
Twitter user @UsmanS721 shared a video that allegedly depicts the officers at the time of the shooting. (Viewer discretion is advised.)
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to this case.
Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the SIU’s lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
Photo and video courtesy of @UsmanS721 on Twitter
- UPDATE: SIU investigating one subject officer and nine witness officers in fatal Mississauga shooting
- Mayor says police budget will be viewed through “different lens” after officers shoot man in crisis in Mississauga
- SIU Officers Investigating Shooting and Manhunt in Mississauga
- SIU investigating after man allegedly threatening to shoot people hit with non-lethal weapon by police officers in Mississauga
- Peel police officer refusing to be interviewed by SIU following shooting death of Mississauga man in crisis
- BRAMPTON'S MOST WANTED: Peel Police hunt four men on the run
- MAYORS CHAT: Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie chats about COVID-19, vaccines and tickets - May 11, 2021
- Three dozen Mississauga residents ticketed at outdoor gatherings
- Ontario pulls AstraZeneca from arms of Mississauga, Brampton reisdents over renewed fears of blood clots
- Most and least expensive homes in Mississauga