CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Male in distress leads to fatal police-involved shooting in Mississauga
The province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating after a 62 year old man was fatally shot by a Peel Police officer on Saturday evening, June 20.
Around 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, tactical and K9 officers attended an apartment unit at 3425 Morningstar Drive in Malton to check on the well-being of a man in crisis.
The man barricaded himself inside the unit, and officers were able to communicate with him for a period of time.
“Shortly after communication stopped, officers breached the door and entered the unit,” the SIU said.
“An interaction occurred which included officers deploying a conducted energy weapon at the man, as well as firing plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield. When these had no effect, an officer discharged a firearm and the man was struck.”
The man was pronounced dead at 8:38 p.m.
Twitter user @UsmanS721 shared a video that allegedly depicts the officers at the time of the shooting. (Viewer discretion is advised.)
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to this case.
Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to contact the SIU’s lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
Photo and video courtesy of @UsmanS721 on Twitter
- UPDATE: SIU investigating one subject officer and nine witness officers in fatal Mississauga shooting
- Mayor says police budget will be viewed through “different lens” after officers shoot man in crisis in Mississauga
- SIU Officers Investigating Shooting and Manhunt in Mississauga
- Peel police officer refusing to be interviewed by SIU following shooting death of Mississauga man in crisis
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of police-involved shooting in Mississauga
- Mass COVID-19 vaccination clinic opens in Mississauga
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Mississauga residents 80 and older can now book their vaccines
- Region of Peel calls flyer asking Mississauga parents to completely isolate their COVID-positive children a “mistake”