Senior News Editor and Reporter
Insauga.com is seeking two experienced editors/reporters to cover news in Hamilton and other Southern Ontario towns and cities from Monday through Friday.
This is a full-time position with benefits.
Insauga.com covers news, politics, real estate, business, food, lifestyle and entertainment stories in Southern Ontario, focusing on the GTHA and Niagara region. Our online publication serves well over 1 million readers, and each website focuses on a specific region and/or city.
We are currently looking for two experienced journalists who can produce three to five articles a day covering breaking news and pertinent issues across our coverage area, with a specific focus on Hamilton.
Candidates who live in our coverage areas (or who have lived in a region for a substantial period of time) are preferred. Our coverage areas include Hamilton, Halton (Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills), Peel (Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon), Durham and Niagara.
The successful candidate will have at least five years of professional writing/reporting experience and be familiar with the aforementioned towns and cities. The successful candidate should be aware of the major issues affecting the Hamilton region and be able to pitch stories that will resonate with readers. Ideally, the successful candidate will be familiar with the local restaurant scene and be able to, when needed, craft restaurant reviews in the form of Top 5 lists.
We are looking for candidates who boast the following:
– At least 5 years experience in journalism
– A university degree or college diploma in journalism, communications or a related field
– Experience interviewing sources
– Familiarity with online reporting
– Familiarity with social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter in particular)
– Consistent access to a reliable vehicle (while this is a work-from-home position, the successful candidate may be required to attend a meeting or event in-person)
– Appreciation for food and restaurant culture
– Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays when necessary
– Ability to meet tight deadlines
– Ability to cover a beat and find stories
– Ability to cover the police beat and local council meetings
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $45,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
- journalism: 5 years (required)
Work Location: Remote
Application deadline: 2023-04-06