Candidates for vacant Burlington school board seat revealed
Eight candidates will square off to capture a vacant Burlington seat on the Halton District School Board.
After nominations closed last Friday (April 14) the eight will now officially be able to campaign for the seat that represents Burlington Wards 1 and 2.
Here are the candidates:
- Robbie Brydon
- Celina Close
- Michael James Duhacek
- Chris Goff
- Anthony Alexander Hoyes
- Omar Kayed
- Ross Montgomery
- Daniel Warren Oke
Here is what you need to know about the voting process:
- Voting takes place between May 15 and 29, 2023.
- Eligible voters have three ways to vote:
- online, using internet voting, from May 15 to 19, 2023
- in person, at advance polls on May 24, 2023
- in person, on election day, May 29, 2023
- Individuals eligible to vote in the by-election for Halton District School Board Trustee – Burlington, Wards 1 and 2 must be:
- a current English-public school board supporter
- be a resident of Burlington (own or rent) in Ward 1 or Ward 2
- non-resident, but you or your spouse own or rent residential property in Ward 1 or Ward 2
- 18 years of age or older
- a Canadian citizen
- not prohibited from voting under any law
Most answers to questions about the election process can be found here.
The by-election was called due to the resignation of Matthew Diodati who was elected to the post this past fall. Diodati said he had to leave the Halton District School Board for health reasons.