Canadians’ trust in doctors, scientists rising, while trust in politicians declining during pandemic
Do you find doctors trustworthy? How about politicians?
Despite the plethora of crackpot theories being spread by a vocal minority regarding COVID-19, the pandemic has led many Canadians to put their trust in doctors, rather than health care workers.
Based on the available data from a 2021 study by Proof Strategies, Canadians consider scientists and doctors very trustworthy, while politicians and employers are deemed significantly less trustworthy.
“Canadians are telling us very clearly who they trust to get us through the pandemic, and the advice they want comes from labs not legislatures and medicine not management,” Bruce MacLellan, president and CEO of Proof Strategies, said in a news release.
According to the study, doctors were most trusted by Canadians--81 per cent of Canadians felt doctors were to be trusted.
Additionally, 77 per cent of Canadians felt they could trust scientists, and 64 per cent said they trusted their friends and family.
Conversely, only 24 per cent of respondents said they trusted business executives, and even fewer--18 per cent--said they trusted politicians.
“While conspiracy theories and polarization are major issues south of the border, Canada is in a healthier state of trust. Our scientific and medical community should be at the decision table and encouraged to keep speaking the truth,” MacLellan said.
- New survey on trust suggests most Canadians believe COVID-19 vaccines safe, effective
- Canadians trust their family doctor more than the PM on COVID-19, says poll
- Canadians are losing trust in our electoral system
- Canadians losing trust in the people in charge: survey
- Ontario doctors predicting huge demand for mental health services post pandemic
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- Police responding to male with firearm in Mississauga convenience store
- Roadway shut down after pedestrian struck by vehicle, seriously injured in Mississauga
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- Ontario ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot