Canadians Being Warned of Travel During Hurricane Season
A hurricane. A storm. And a typhoon.
Three major weather events are expected to happen this week, and the federal government is warning Canadians of travel to specific places around the globe.
"As Hurricane Florence, Tropical Storm Isaac and Super Typhoon Mangkhut are all expected to make landfall this week, the Government of Canada reminds Canadians of the importance of making safe travel arrangements,” reads a recent statement from Global Affairs Canada.
The feds have specified some places around the globe where Canadians should avoid travel.
So if you’re making travel plans, you might want to regroup.
"For Hurricane Florence, Canadians should avoid all travel to the U.S. east coast, from Edisto Beach in South Carolina to Duck North Carolina, including Pamlico Sound and Albemarle Sound,” reads the statement.
In fact, the governors of North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia have issued mandatory evacuation orders for many coastal counties in their states, it reads.
"For Tropical Storm Isaac, Canadians should exercise a high degree of caution in Dominica.”
"For Super Typhoon Mangkhut, Canadians should avoid non-essential travel to the Babuyan Islands.”
Residents or travellers should exercise caution, monitor local news, and follow authorities’ instructions.
That may include evacuation orders, says Global Affairs Canada.
The weather events could prove dangerous - the feds advise that if you know someone in any of those areas, you should try to contact them.
"Canadians should contact their loved ones who may be in harm's way to ensure that they are aware of the latest recommendations,” reads the statement.
For current information on places you’re travelling to, click here.
- Police Searching For a Missing Man Who Was Last Seen in Mississauga
- Mississauga's Top 5 Pizza Places
- Here's What You Need to Know About New Rules Being Proposed for Police Officers in Mississauga
- 49-year-old Rider in Hospital After Motorcycle Collision in Mississauga
- Police Investigating Physical Assault in Mississauga
- Government Warning Canadians Not to Travel to Peru
- Government of Canada Issues Travel Advisory for Mexico
- Government Updates Travel Advisory For Sri Lanka After Another Explosion
- New Travel Guidelines Will Affect Canadians Travelling to Europe
- Federal Government Warning Women Not to Travel to these Vacation Destinations