Mississauga Tennis Player's Magical Run Cut Short in New Zealand
It was an impressive run, albeit one that was unfortunately cut short at the final hurdle.
Canadian tennis player Bianca Andreescu, who made it to finals in the 2019 ASB Classic, was defeated by defending champ Julia Goerges.
Goerges took a three-set victory over the 18 year old Mississauga native, making this her second-straight title win in Auckland, New Zealand.
“Goerges wins 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 to win the [ASB Classic], but this won’t be the last we hear of Bianca in 2019!” Tennis Canada wrote in a recent tweet.
— WTA (@WTA) January 6, 2019
A dream week comes to an end for Bianca Andreescu, who has so much to be proud of after incredible victories over former World No. 1s and reaching her first WTA final.— Tennis Canada (@TennisCanada) January 6, 2019
Goerges wins 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 to win the #ASBClassic, but this won’t be the last we hear of Bianca in 2019! pic.twitter.com/9kE6pJdZyh
The two players shared a hug following the match’s conclusion.
The Women’s Tennis Association has video coverage of the final match on their website.
Congratulations to Julia Goerges and to Bianca Andreescu for making it so far!
Cover photo courtesy of the WTA
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Makes it to Finals in California Tournament
- Mississauga Female Tennis Player Makes it to Finals in New Zealand
- 18-Year-Old Mississauga Tennis Star Wins Indian Wells Title in California Tournament
- 18-Year-Old Mississauga Tennis Star Advances in Australian Open
- One on One with Rising Teen Tennis Star from Mississauga, Bianca Andreescu