Canadian NBA player Cory Joseph donating face shields to Toronto-area medical workers
TORONTO -- Sacramento Kings guard Cory Joseph is donating face shields to frontline medical workers in the Toronto area.
Joseph, from Pickering, Ont., announced Wednesday he is making the donation through Operation Canadian Shield. The initiative was started by Flash Reproductions, a printing business in Toronto currently making plastic face shields for health-care professionals battling the COVID-19 pandemic.
Joseph and his family teamed up with Kings chief of staff and assistant coach Roy Rana, who is from Toronto, as well as Frontier, the Sunnybrook Foundation and the University Health Network to co-ordinate the effort.
"It is heartbreaking to witness the effects of this pandemic around the world, so I wanted to do my part to help where I grew up," Joseph said in a statement. "The courageous work of the hospital community is admirable, and it is important to help protect them. I look forward to providing support in Toronto along with upcoming community efforts throughout Canada and Sacramento as we fight this virus together."
Joseph spent two seasons playing with the Raptors (2015-17) and has represented Canada internationally on numerous occasions.
Cover photo courtesy of Cory Joseph’s Instagram
- Burlington's Joseph Brant Hospital new site for vaccination clinic
- More Toronto hospitals declare COVID-19 outbreaks
- Canada Goose to produce medical gear for health-care workers and patients
- Head coach Nick Nurse signs multi-year extension with Toronto Raptors
- Toronto Raptors players in self-isolation after coronavirus exposure
- Masks mandatory in Mississauga until end of September, some face coverings no longer permitted
- Get second dose as soon as you can Brampton, Mississauga residents urged
- Gypsy moth blamed for mysterious rash showing up on Mississauga residents
- Mayor wants Brampton, Mississauga residents to be able to get a hair cut sooner than scheduled
- Mississauga man murdered at Wasaga Beach, Brampton man one of two charged