Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine approved for clinical trials by Health Canada
For those who are fed up with the pandemic, there's more good news--a Canadian-made vaccine has been given approval for clinical trials.
Providence Therapeutics announced Health Canada has given the Canadian biotech company the green light to begin human clinical trials of its COVID-19 vaccine.
The vaccine--PTX-COVID19-B--is a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine, similar to the other two vaccines being made available to Canadians from Pfizer and Moderna, and is the first COVID vaccine made in Canada to reach this stage of development.
Phase I trials will begin early in the new year, while later phase clinical trials are expected to proceed in 2021, subject to regulatory approval.
The vaccine incorporates industry-leading lipid nanoparticle technology licensed from an affiliate of Genevant Sciences Corporation, in Vancouver, BC.
The federal government is providing financial sponsorship and advice for the Phase I trial through the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program.
“We welcome Health Canada authorization and are excited to begin clinical trials. This means we can continue our critical work of developing a made-in-Canada solution to address the global COVID-19 pandemic. We are extremely proud that this vaccine will be researched and manufactured here in Canada, prioritizing Canadians,” Brad Sorenson, CEO of Providence Therapeutics, said in a news release.
- Canadian company urges human trials after COVID-19 vaccine results in mice
- Canada signs deal with Novovax to get 76 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine
- Health Canada approves Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine
- Health Canada green lights Moderna vaccine
- Canada signs deals with Pfizer, Moderna to get doses of COVID-19 vaccines
- How Dundas & Hurontario Looked Back in the Day
- Ontario ticket holder claims $1 million Maxmillion prize
- Ontario sees signficiant drop in new COVID-19 cases today, Peel Region numbers remain steady
- Top 5 Chicken on the Rocks in Mississauga
- Police arrest man for making threats against Pearson Airport in Mississauga