Burlington mayor addresses concerns regarding fireworks over Canada Day long weekend


Published July 5, 2021 at 4:31 pm

A Burlington resident recently expressed concerns regarding fireworks that were set off in the city over the Canada Day long weekend.

The concern was posted to Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward’s “Monday Mailbag,” an initiative that was launched to answer questions from the public that the office has received.

“Fireworks at all hours of the night and for 4 nights in a row?! That’s ridiculous! Can the City start enforcing its bylaws?! I get celebrating a holiday, but why can’t it be limited to 1 night over a long weekend,” read the concern.

Here’s what Meed Ward had to say.

“We empathize with the concerns from residents related to fireworks in our City. It’s an ongoing issue to manage and control appropriate use,” she said, adding that Burlington City Council recently updated their bylaw to restrict times, days and the sale of fireworks.

According to the mayor, the City’s Business Licensing Bylaw regulates the sale of family fireworks.

Additionally, Meed Ward went on to explain that fireworks must be used in accordance with the bylaw that states the following.

The setting off of family fireworks is only permitted on Victoria Day and Canada Day and are restricted from dusk (sunset) until 11:00 p.m.

Additionally, setting off fireworks in a place that might create danger, be a nuisance or cause an unsafe act is not permitted.

They are also not to be discharged within 10 metres of buildings, structures, decks, vehicles, accessory buildings, on highways, in city parks or in schoolyards and shall only be discharged on private property.

No person under the age of 18 is permitted to set off any fireworks.

“Enforcement of the City’s bylaws is regularly conducted, for example, several large and illegal beach parties (that included the illegal lighting of fireworks) were recently broken up in June 2021,” emphasized the Mayor.

“However, it can be difficult to isolate where fireworks across the City are coming from — which property. By the time bylaw officers arrive the fireworks are over.”

The mayor advised residents who would like to report noise complaints to contact the Halton Regional Police Services (HRPS) Non-Emergency Line or the City’s bylaw office after-hours answering service.

For more information about fireworks and the City’s bylaw, click here.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Related News