Burlington mayor addresses concerns over proposed development at Millcroft Golf Course

By

Published July 12, 2021 at 5:41 pm

burlington_cityhall

A Burlington resident recently expressed their concerns in regards to the proposed development at Millcroft Golf Course.

The concern was posted to Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward’s “Monday Mailbag,” an initiative that was launched to answer questions from the public and follows the recent news of the Glen Abbey golf course in Oakville being saved from a proposed development.

“Hearing news about Oakville’s Glen Abbey Golf Course being saved by the Ministry stepping in. Can the Ministry, our MPPs, Region and City work together with the applicant to bring a similar conclusion to protect the Millcroft Golf Course from the proposed development?” read the concern.

Here’s what Meed Ward had to say.

“We were all delighted by the news of the Province stepping up to protect Glen Abbey, and the decision on July 9 by Clublink to withdraw their appeals to the Ontario Lands Tribunal and continue operating as a golf course,” said Meed Ward.

“All of Regional Council, which includes all seven members of Burlington City Council, supported protecting this greenspace and seeking the Minister’s Zoning Order (MZO).”

While Meed Ward expressed her excitement over the news, she explained that the Glen Abbey application was further along than the one for Millcroft in Burlington. Additionally, she stated that it had already completed the planning review and a vote by Oakville Council.

The mayor confirmed that the planning review in Burlington for Millcroft is still underway.

“To date, we have not received any indication that our review can be set aside midstream, prior to a recommendation and vote by council, and replaced with consideration of other options. So, for now, the review is continuing to reach those steps,” she said.

According to Meed Ward, the review will culminate in a recommendation from staff. This could include refusal, approval, or approval with conditions along with a vote by council that could be to accept or reject the staff recommendation or make modifications to it.

That recommendation and vote are expected by September or October 2021.

“Those steps still remain. So, for now, until we hear otherwise, these are the expected next steps and timelines on the Millcroft file. If anything changes, we will be sure to let the public know,” stated Meed Ward.

“Please rest assured that all of Burlington Council is deeply committed to ensuring the best decision is made on the Millcroft file, especially given the significant impacts on greenspace, with a view to ensuring the best outcome in conversation with our residents, planning staff and the applicant.”

“There is more to come, and as we learn more news, we will be sure to share it,” she concluded.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising