Bulky garbage pickup in Mississauga and Brampton suspended due to COVID-19 staffing pressures
Published January 14, 2022 at 9:31 am
Bulky item garbage pickup in Mississauga and Brampton has been put on hold due to a COVID-19 worker shortage.
Starting on Monday, Jan. 17, residents are being asked to hold onto all of their oversized items as all bulky item collection in the Region of Peel will be suspended until further notice.
The Region said the pickup freeze is a result of “a reduction in essential front-line workers due to current COVID-19 cases.”
Residents can still take their excess garbage and bulky items to a Community Recycling Centre for a disposal fee.
Check peelregion.ca/waste for locations and hours of operation. Please note that the CRCs only accept credit and debit payment, as cash payments are not accepted.
Curbside Christmas tree disposal may also be delayed, but the Region said residents should still leave their Christmas trees at the curb for collection even on the weekends.
Last week the Region of Peel scrapped plans for a winter garbage exemption originally slated for Jan.24 to Feb. 4.
Here’s what you need to know about changes to the Region of Peel’s waste collection pickups:
Bulky item collection:
- As of Monday, Jan. 17, bulky item collection will be suspended until further notice.
- Residents are advised to hold on to all oversized items during this time.
Winter 2022 garbage exemption period:
- As a reminder, residents are advised that the winter garbage exemption period (originally scheduled from January 24 to February 4) is suspended.
Christmas tree collection:
- Residents may experience delays with the pickup of natural Christmas trees at curbside.
- Residents are advised to continue to leave their Christmas trees at the curb for collection (even on the weekend).
- Residents can also take their Christmas trees to any Peel Community Recycling Centre (CRC). Trees taller than 3 m. (10 ft.) must be cut in half to be accepted. There will be no drop-off fees at the CRCs for Christmas trees dropped off during the collection period of January 10 – 21.