Brutal Attack on Mississauga Man Being Investigated as Possible Hate Crime
A Mississauga father is still in hospital following a brutal attack that police say is now being investigated as a possible hate-motivated crime.
On Sunday, July 15 at 9:00 p.m., police were called to investigate a disturbance in the Mississauga Valley Pkwy. and Central Pkwy area. Upon arrival, officers located a man suffering from serious injuries that allegedly resulted from an altercation with two other men.
The victim has since been identified as Muhammad Abu Marzouk.
Marzouk is still recovering in hospital.
Photo courtesy of LaunchGood crowdfunding campaign
Two suspects were arrested at the time of the incident and are currently facing assault-related charges.
New reports, however, indicate that what was initially thought to be road rage-related incident could be a hate-motivated crime.
Ibrahim Hindy, an imam at the Dar Al-Tawheed Islamic Centre in Mississauga, recently took to Facebook to announce that his organization has launched a LaunchGood crowdfunding campaign with Canada Zakat in order to raise funds for Marzouk and his family.
On Facebook, Hindy wrote that there was “no road rage” involved in the incident.
“There was no road rage. He never moved his car and the animals who attacked him weren’t even driving a car,” Hindy wrote.
According to Hindy, Marzouk, who had just come from a picnic, put his car in reverse (but did not move it) when two suspects “began banging on his car,” thinking that he didn’t see them walking behind the vehicle.
Hindy says that the suspects initially began walking away before returning and calling Marzouk a number of offensive names, including an “Arab terrorist,” and telling him to go back to his country.
Hindy also wrote that Marzouk’s wife was injured when she tried to shield her husband.
Hindy said that another man who came to help was also struck.
The imam says the couple’s four and six-year-old daughters were in the vehicle and witnessed the attack.
According to the LaunchGood page, the attack that left Marzouk with serious injuries to his head and body, including “multiple fractures” and “a brain hemorrhage.”
Police say the investigation is ongoing.
- Mississauga Uber Driver Arrested After Two Sexual Assault Incidents
- 5 “Haunted” Conspiracy Theories That Exist In Mississauga
- UPDATE on CLOSURE: Popular Japanese/Korean Restaurant in Mississauga Closed for Health Violations
- Police Chasing Rogue Swan in Mississauga
- Top 5 Under the Radar Fish & Chip Joints in Mississauga
- UPDATE: Police Identify Suspects Following Brutal and Potentially Hate-Motivated Attack in Mississauga
- Three Teens Arrested Following Hate-Motivated Crime in Mississauga
- Police Called to Investigate Potential Hate-Fuelled Incident in Mississauga
- Man Arrested After Road Rage Incident Involving Firearm in Mississauga
- Two Teens Charged With Hate-Motivated Crime in Mississauga