All schools closing in Mississauga and Brampton due to Section 22 order
Schools in Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon will not be reopening tomorrow (April 6).
On April 5, the Region of Peel announced that Peel Public Health has issued a Section 22 order mandating the temporary cessation of in-person learning at all schools in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga for two weeks, effective 12:01 a.m. on April 6, 2021.
Students will pivot to remote learning and schools will remain closed until the end of the day on April 18.
Public health says that late last week and through the weekend, the region saw significant increases in case counts and the spread of variants in the community.
"This closure is a necessary step to protect staff and students in Peel Region. With increasing case counts and the presence of variants of concern, we need to break chains of transmission and keep our schools safe," Dr. Lawrence Loh, Peel's Medical Officer of Health, said in a statement.
"I know this will be challenging for parents to navigate and we appreciate all the sacrifices parents continue to make as we continue to fight COVID-19 in our community."
The closure will affect all Dufferin Peel District Catholic School Board, Peel District School Board, Conseil Scolaire Viamonde, Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir and all private schools.
All elementary staff and students, secondary staff and students and special education staff and students will be impacted and all April Break spring camps for school-age children will be cancelled.
Licensed child care programs will remain open for children under 6 years of age who are not attending school.
If your child attends a school in Peel region, they are not allowed to attend child care centres or day camps, including those offered by child care providers, during this closure.
- LATEST UPDATE: 11 schools now closed in Peel Region as COVID spreads in Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon
- School buildings and offices in the Peel District School Board are closed today
- Classroom cancellations won’t prevent Peel public school students from learning this winter
- Peel District School Board provides update on when and how Mississauga students will return to school
- Public and Catholic School boards in Mississauga and Brampton calling for closure of schools
- Man shot in central Hamilton, street closed
- Over 80 per cent of eligible Ontarians have now received at least one dose
- Pfizer says third dose of COVID-19 vaccine very effective against Delta variant
- Carjacking at knifepoint in Brampton, suspects sought by Peel police
- Peel Police have two suspects in Brampton carjacking in custody, search on for other