BREAKING: Peel Public Health investigating possible coronavirus infection at Mississauga retirement home
Peel Public Health is currently investigating the possibility of coronavirus infection at a Mississauga retirement home.
In a statement from Silverthorn Care Community, it was reported that a family member of the community recently entered the building to visit a resident in the nursing home.
This family member later tested positive for COVID-19 and is in isolation at home.
Health officials have been onsite and have contacted anyone who was in close contact with this individual, according to Justine Welburn, executive director at Silverthorn Care Community.
“The risk of transmission for residents and team members who were not in close contact with this individual is assessed to be low,” Welburn says.
All of the home’s residents are being closely monitored, and the resident who was visited by this individual is also in isolation and currently being monitored and tested.
As always, residents are advised to minimize the risk of infection by washing their hands frequently, avoiding contact with the face, and avoiding close contact with people who are already infected.
Silverthorn Care Community is a retirement home located in the area of Mississauga Road and Highway 403.
More information to come as the situation develops.
Visit the province’s website to learn more COVID-19 and tips on how to stay protected.
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: First responders salute hospital workers in Mississauga
- Police looking for elderly couple last seen in Mississauga
- Residents shutting their lights off tonight for Earth Hour 2020
- Update from the Peel District School Board regarding COVID-19
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Peel Public Health says people who visited Peel Tim Hortons location not at heightened risk of COVID-19 exposure
- Two long-term care home residents die after COVID-19 outbreak
- BREAKING: New coronavirus case reported in Peel
- Peel Public Health provides updated information on coronavirus
- Officials reach most people in contact with Toronto couple with coronavirus