BREAKING: Ontario reporting 978 new COVID-19 cases today, six new deaths
Ontario is reporting a new single-day high of 978 new cases of COVID-19 today, along with six new deaths linked to the novel coronavirus.
Most of the new diagnoses are in the four provincial hot spots of Ottawa, Toronto and neighbouring Peel and York Regions, where stricter public health measures have taken effect over the past two weeks.
But today's numbers show high case loads in other Toronto-area regions facing the prospect of moving back to a modified Stage 2 of the province's pandemic recovery plan.
While Toronto recorded 348 cases and Peel reported 170, nearby Durham Region posted 51 new diagnoses in the past 24 hours while Halton Region saw 21.
Premier Doug Ford has said the government would review the situation in Halton, Durham Region and other areas where case numbers are climbing and outline next steps on Monday.
A group of politicians from Halton are asking the province's top doctor to reconsider imposing restrictions, saying the region still has the hospital capacity to handle more cases.
A letter signed by municipal and provincial leaders with ties to the region asked Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams to target certain high-risk activities and locations rather than impose blanket restrictions.
- Ontario set to decide on imposing new restrictions on Halton, Durham regions
- Ontario reports 851 new COVID-19 cases today, and six new deaths from the virus
- Just 18 new cases across Halton Region today as Premier Ford delays further restrictions
- Ontario sees significant drop in new COVID-19 cases today, Peel Region numbers remain steady
- New COVID numbers show Peel Region over 300 new cases today
- Thirteen tickets won a massive lottery prize in Ontario but no jackpot
- UPDATE: Brampton teen drowns in Halton Hills area
- Mississauga enters first stage of reopening as COVID-19 restrictions loosen across Ontario
- Mississauga, Brampton vaccine clinics taking place this weekend
- Trio of suitors to bid on anaerobic digestion plant in Clarington