BREAKING: New coronavirus case reported in Peel
The Region of Peel confirmed today the third positive case of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the region, affecting a man in his 50's who returned from travel to Germany on March 7.
The man was assessed at Brampton Civic Hospital and discharged to go into self-isolation at home.
"Thanks to the swift and careful actions of our Emergency Department, Infection Prevention and Control, and our incident management teams, we were able to take all necessary steps to ensure we protected our staff, physicians, volunteers and community, and that the individual was cared for appropriately and effectively," said Kiki Ferrari, Executive Vice President, Clinical Operations, William Osler Health System.
Peel Public Health is actively investigating and working with the Public Health Agency of Canada, Ministry of Health, Public Health Ontario and other local health providers to monitor the situation and protect the community.
Anyone identified to have possibly had close contact with the infected individual will be contacted directly.
"We continue to be well prepared to respond to cases of COVID-19 in Peel. A coordinated system is functioning effectively to manage and contain cases to prevent community transmission," said Dr. Jessica Hopkins, Medical Officer of Health for the Region of Peel.
Hopkins says the risk to Peel citizens remains low.
- BREAKING: Peel Public Health investigating possible coronavirus infection at Mississauga retirement home
- Peel Public Health confirms first case of COVID-19 in Mississauga
- BREAKING: Peel Public Health reports region's first COVID-19 related death
- Peel Public Health provides updated information on coronavirus
- Peel Public Health investigates after local workplace exposed to coronavirus
- Weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Mississauga
- Police responding to large disturbance after fight breaks out in Mississauga
- Officers searching for male on inflatable tube in river in Mississauga
- Mississauga father celebrating big lotto win
- Armed suspect flees after attempted carjacking in Mississauga