BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak affecting staff members at Mississauga Hospital
Trillium Health Partners (THP) says a number of health care workers at its Mississauga Hospital tested positive for COVID-19 between March 26, 2020, and April 5, 2020.
The employees work in Medicine Unit 4B.
THP says its initial investigation suggests staff members acquired COVID-19 in the community and from other sources at different times.
"We are taking this situation very seriously," THP said in a statement.
THP says that while it continues to test and monitor staff and patients from the affected unit, the number of positive tests it is currently aware of is less than ten.
All patients on the unit are being notified and are being actively monitored and will be tested immediately should they develop symptoms.
"Following a consultation with Peel Public Health and out of an abundance of caution, we are declaring an outbreak of staff cases. A patient outbreak is defined as when a unit has two or more patients who test positive for a communicable disease, acquired in hospital, such as the flu," THP said in a statement.
"For COVID-19, however, there is no current guidance for declaring an outbreak among health care workers. This is an unprecedented time for our hospital, the province and our entire country, and we are working in partnership at all levels of government to adapt our processes and continually improve the way we protect staff and patients from COVID-19."
THP says it has taken additional precautions, including closing the unit to any new admissions. It has also enhanced cleaning on the unit, and increased education on the use of personal protective equipment, washing of hands and physical distancing.
"We understand the increased anxiety in our community and across our country related to COVID-19. Trillium Health Partners has been preparing to respond for the last two months and continues to take measures and actions to better protect our patients and people, this includes implementing even stronger infection protocols," THP says.
"We are reminding everyone in our hospital and community the importance of washing your hands, keeping two metres apart from others, and if you are sick, stay home."
- BREAKING: COVID-19 outbreak declared at Credit Valley Hospital in Mississauga
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at Mississauga Hospital’s emergency department
- PHOTOS: Trillium Health Partners building temporary pandemic response unit in Mississauga
- THP preparing for an increase of COVID-19 patients
- Outbreak at Mississauga long-term care home after staff member tests positive for COVID-19
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: World's largest cargo plane lands at Pearson Airport with medical supplies
- PHOTOS: Massive $50,000,000 mansion with gold-lining is for sale in Mississauga
- Newly-released data indicates that Mississauga is a hotspot for COVID-19
- Peel releases map data showing COVID-19 cases and hotspots
- House of the Week: $2 mil home with gorgeous, upgraded interior