BREAKING: Canada Post employee dies of COVID-19 following massive outbreak at Mississauga Gateway facility
Canada Post has confirmed that a worker has died of COVID-19 at its Gateway facility in Mississauga.
Spokesperson Phil Legault says the employee had tested positive for COVID-19 and was last at work on January 18, 2021.
“We offer our deepest sympathies to the family as they mourn the loss and respect their privacy during this difficult time,” Legault said in an email.
“We are focused on supporting our employees who have lost a colleague while ensuring we continue to stringently follow the guidance and direction from Peel Public Health.”
Gateway is Canada’s largest mail sorting station and depot and handles about 70 per cent of all packages mailed through Canada Post.
Last week it was revealed that almost 200 workers at the facility have tested positive for COVID-19. Subsequently, an entire shift of workers that may have been exposed to the virus - almost 350 people - have been sent home.
“(Peel) Public Health says this is the most effective way to contain further spread at this stage,” the statement continues.
Canada Post says customers can check the latest shipping status of some packages at canadapost.ca.
- COVID outbreak sends 350 workers home at Mississauga's Gateway facility that will disrupt mail service across Canada
- All employees must now be tested at Canada Post facility in Mississauga as COVID-19 outbreak grows
- Canada Post reports more cases of COVID found at Mississauga's Gateway facility
- Canada Post worker at Mississauga facility tests positive for COVID-19
- Canada Post workers self-isolating after outbreak at facility in Mississauga
- Thirteen tickets won a massive lottery prize in Ontario but no jackpot
- UPDATE: Brampton teen drowns in Halton Hills area
- Six new COVID-19 cases reported at Mississauga and Brampton grocery stores this week
- Mississauga enters first stage of reopening as COVID-19 restrictions loosen across Ontario
- BREAKING: Province shortens AstraZeneca second dose to 8 weeks in Mississauga, Brampton and Ontario