BREAKING: Bonnie Crombie Wins Second Term as Mayor of Mississauga
Back in 2014, Mississauga's mayoral election was a little less predictable, as Hazel McCallion had officially retired, opening the floor to other candidates for what seemed like the first time in over 30 years.
After winning a much-coveted endorsement from Hurricane Hazel herself, Crombie became mayor of the city, beating out Steve Mahoney to become leader of the sixth largest city in Canada.
Four years later, Crombie has won a second term.
The win makes sense for a number of reasons.
Firstly, Crombie didn't have much competition. Although insauga.com speculated that former PC party leader and one-time regional chair hopeful Patrick Brown might jump into the race (along with popular entrepreneur Mohamad Fakih and former finance minister Charles Sousa), no high-profile candidates chose to challenge Crombie for Mississauga's top job.
Secondly, Crombie has a solid record. Under Crombie's watch, the city has moved forward on the $1.4 billion provincially-funded Hurontario Light Rail Transit, the massive M City condo development and the Port Credit and Lakeview redevelopment projects.
It'll be interesting to see where Crombie takes the city over the next four years.
Council winners (unofficial results as of 1:00 a.m.):
Ward 1: Stephen Dasko
Ward 2: Karen Ras
Ward 3: Chris Fonseca
Ward 4: John Kovac
Ward 5: Carolyn Parrish
Ward 6: Ron Starr
Ward 7: Dipika Damerla
Ward 8: Matt Mahoney
Ward 9: Pat Saito
Ward 10: Sue McFadden
Ward 11: George Carlson
- PHOTOS: First Look at Massive Entertainment Facility Opening Today in Square One in Mississauga
- An Unexpected Shop is Opening Soon in Square One in Mississauga
- Numerous Flights Cancelled Following Fire at Pearson Airport
- Top 5 Greek Restaurants in Mississauga
- 18-Year-Old Mississauga Tennis Star Wins Indian Wells Title in California Tournament
- VIDEO: ONE on ONE with Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie
- Highlights of Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie's State of the City Address
- Hazel McCallion and Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie Disagree on Growth and Sprawl
- Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie Should Stay on the Peel Police Board
- Crombie Holds the Lead over Mahoney