Brand New and Important Decor Coming to Celebration Square in Mississauga
Celebration Square, the massive gathering space in front of City Hall that hosts concerts, food festivals and seasonal celebrations all-year-round, has quickly become one of the city's most prominent and recognizable recreational hubs.
Now, the square that feeds and entertains residents from all over the city is about to do its part to celebrate equality and inclusivity.
Next Tuesday (July 30), the City of Mississauga will unveil new Pride and transgender flag decals (designs prepared on special paper for transfer onto another surface such as glass, porcelain, or metal) on Celebration Square.
The city says the decal unveiling recognizes Peel Pride Month and celebrates diversity in Mississauga.
According to the city, a descriptive sign will be placed in the garden adjacent to the decals, which will include a message reinforcing the city's commitment to diversity.
Mayor Bonnie Crombie, members of council and special guests will be present at the unveiling.
The move is part of an overall initiative to celebrate Pride and support LGBTQ communities across the Region of Peel (which includes Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon).
At a July 11 meeting, regional council approved an allocation of funding for municipalities in Peel towards Pride and transgender flag decals in recognition of Peel Pride Month (which takes place in July).
The Region of Peel has agreed to allocate funds up to $25,000 (or an appropriate amount) on an annual basis between Brampton, Mississauga and Caledon for the creation of the decals. The initiative was launched in consultation with 2SLGBTQ+ communities.
- Syrian refugee family makes new life--and opens new business--in Mississauga
- Former Mississauga mayor Hazel McCallion set to support pro-Don Cherry Rally
- Unpopular Opinion: 'Free speech' is not a thing and good riddance to 'Grapes'
- 40 YEARS LATER: Canada’s Biggest Evacuation in History Happened in Mississauga
- Mississauga just beat a 33-year-old record for lowest temperature
- Here’s How IKEA Canada is Recognizing Pride Month
- Mississauga Celebrates Pride Month With Unique Event
- Mayor Bonnie Crombie Pushing for Mississauga to Leave Peel Region
- Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie to Present Bianca Andreescu With Key to the City
- Mississauga Mayor Emphasizes City's Diversity in Wake of Trump Travel Ban