Brampton's Larin now fourth on Canada's all-time goal scoring list for World Cup qualifiers
Cyle Larin, of Brampton, was named Canada’s male soccer player of the month for March.
It’s the second time in the last three months that the 25-year-old has been recognized for his efforts on the soccer field.
Larin continues to find the back of the net, scoring four times in Canada’s World Cup qualifying wins over the Cayman Islands and Bermuda.
His four goals moved him into fourth place on Canada’s all-time list for goals in FIFA World Cup qualifiers. He’s now just one goal back of Dwayne De Rosario and Dale Michell and three back of all-time leader Alex Bunbury.
The Brampton native was dominant in Canada’s 5-1 trouncing of Bermuda, scoring three times.
It marks just the third time a Canadian has recorded a hat trick in World Cup qualifying play. Simeon Jackson, in 2011, and Bunbury, in 1992, were the others.
Larin also scored in Canada’s 11-0 romp of the Cayman Islands.
His hot play at the club level has helped Besiktas hold on to top spot in the Turkish Super Lig. In four league matches, the Canadian scored a goal and added an assist.
His extra time marker also helped Besiktas advance to the final of the Turkish Cup for the first time since 2011.
Jessie Fleming was named Canada’s female player of the month for March.
CANADA NATIONAL SOCCER PHOTO
- Brampton continues to show the world it is Canada’s hotbed of soccer
- Brampton soccer star's goal helps Canada to semi-finals of international tournament
- Brampton soccer star is now Canadian men's team all-time assists leader
- Two Brampton players named to Canada's Olympic women's soccer squad
- Hamilton Bulldogs all-time leading scorer notches first NHL goal in debut
- Longtime friends from Brampton and Georgetown richer for sharing Lotto Max ticket
- Brampton restaurant ordered to pay $13K in missed wages to former cook
- Metrolinx expanding GO train service in Hamilton
- Big lotto winner from Mississauga thought it was a joke when it said ‘Big Winner’
- Will Mississauga and Brampton be fully open next week?