Brampton, U of Guelph-Humber will work to create campus in city
Brampton residents studying and learning at the University of Guelph-Humber could soon have a much shorter commute.
Wednesday, city council unanimously supported a motion to work with the University of Guelph and Humber College to bring the University of Guelph-Humber (UofGH) to Brampton’s Centre for Innovation (CFI). City staff and both of the post-secondary institutions have been tasked with identifying required supports and business terms for the potential relocation of the campus, which would be an anchor tenant in the CFI.
"This exciting partnership with the University of Guelph-Humber will be a pivotal building block of Brampton's Centre for Innovation and truly help develop our city into a major education and innovation hub," Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown said in a media release. "Our students deserve the best opportunities for success and those come with access to high quality education and skills development options -- right here at home."
University of Guelph-Humber offers combined degree-diploma programs, where students earn a Humber diploma and a bachelor’s degree from Guelph over the course of four years.
It was noted by UofGH that it gets more applicants from Brampton than from any other city in Ontario.
"We are excited by the opportunity to have Brampton as the home for an innovative new campus," said Chris Whitaker, president and CEO, Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning.
Current and future UofGH programs UofGH would complement Ryerson University’s planned medical school in Brampton’s innovation district. That area also houses programs offered through Algoma University and Sheridan College, as well as Ryerson’s cyberrsecurity ventures program.
The UofGH’s current and future programs will complement Ryerson’s planned medical school and its cybersecurity research/innovation centre as well as Algoma University and Sheridan College’s existing programs.
- Some students will be permitted to return to Humber campus in July
- Brampton, Ryerson University continue to collaborate on future medical school
- Ryerson University already planning for Brampton's medical school
- Brampton commits $1 million to help plan future Ryerson medical school
- Exciting Continuing Education Programs Offered by McMaster University in Mississauga
- Male pronounced dead at scene after drowning in Brampton
- PICK A SIDE: When should masks no longer be mandatory in Ontario?
- Popular breakfast and lunch restaurant opening new location in Mississauga
- 1 in 3 Canadians considering 'workarounds' as Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton house prices keep rising
- Special weather statement: Heavy rainfall in Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton