Brampton teachers who contracted COVID while exercising at school could be disciplined
Two Brampton high school teachers could face disciplinary measures for exercising on school grounds and potentially spreading the U.K. variant of COVID-19.
The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board (DPCDSB) admitted yesterday that despite rules prohibiting such activities, the teachers had recently decided to use a converted classroom to workout and did so without wearing masks.
The school has been identified as St. Roch Catholic Secondary School located at 200 Valleyway Dr, Brampton.
The teachers subsequently tested positive for coronavirus with one contracting the more contagious variant.
Peel Region's Medical Offer of Health Dr. Lawrence Loh said his office investigated the incident and that there was no threat of the virus spreading further and the teachers are now self-isolating. He considers the case closed.
The school was closed to students at the time, but teachers can still go into the schools and use their regular classrooms to teach remotely.
The DPCDSB is now treating the incident as an internal matter, but a source has acknowledged the teachers could be disciplined for breaking the rules by using the gym room and not practising the proper social distancing measures.
Schools in Peel Region will open for in-class instruction beginning next week.
- Mississauga and Brampton high school teachers say it's not safe to return to classrooms
- ICYMI: Mississauga and Brampton high school teachers say it's not safe to return to classrooms
- New rules for Catholic school students in Mississauga and Brampton when they return to classrooms
- Peel District School Board Set to Lay Off Over 300 Teachers
- Catholic school students might face delayed start to school year in Mississauga: DPCDSB
- Mississauga men celebrating big lotto wins as the machine froze
- Looks like Mississauga and Brampton will be moving into grey lockdown zone on March 9
- Change coming to waste collection in Mississauga this month
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga had 24 international and 4 domestic flights with COVID-19 cases
- Man delivering food in Mississauga robbed: Peel Police