Brampton parents charged after child's luggage used to smuggle drugs into Mississauga's Pearson Airport
A Brampton couple were arrested after allegedly using one of their children to help smuggle drugs through Mississauga's Pearson Airport.
The Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) says a family of four were examined upon their arrival from Jamaica on February 7.
During the examination of the luggage of the two adults and two children, officers discovered 7.7 kilograms of cocaine, 93 kilograms of marijuana, and 218 grams of hashish. A suitcase concealing cannabis was checked in under the ticket of a 12-year-old. The CBSA estimates the value of the suspected drugs seized at over $1.6 million.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) - Toronto Airport Detachment initiated an investigation and charged both parents with three counts of importation of a controlled substance contrary to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, and three counts of conspiracy to commit an indictable offence contrary to the Criminal Code. Their names have not been released.
Arrangements were made in consultation with the Region of Peel Children's Services to release both children to other family members.
The two adults were released on bail and are awaiting trial.
"I am proud of the efforts of our frontline officers and the work they do every day in protecting our borders and our communities, while at the same time demonstrating the utmost professionalism during difficult and sensitive situations," said Lisa Janes, CBSA Regional Director General, Greater Toronto Area Region.
(Photo released by the CBSA and RCMP show the drugs that were seized)
- Mississauga man arrested following seizure of $25 million in illegal drugs
- Police Hunt Suspect After Huge Amount of Drugs Found at Pearson Airport
- Two Arrested After Suspected Cocaine Found in Interesting Item at Pearson Airport
- CBSA Officer Found Dead at Pearson Airport in Mississauga
- Brampton truck driver charged for smuggling cocaine into Canada
- House of the week: Spectacular $4.3 mil Lorne Park home with wine cellar
- PHOTOS: Over 100 townhouses planned for brand new neighbourhood in Mississauga
- Still no answer from feds as 14 flights land at Mississauga's Pearson Airport with COVID-19
- Give AstraZeneca vaccine to residents 18+ in hotspot areas like Mississauga and Brampton: Ontario Liberal leader
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Fight breaks out at gas station in Brampton