Brampton mayor pushes for more highway cameras following recent shootings in Peel
In an effort to curtail shootings and violent attacks, Mayor Patrick Brown is pushing for more surveillance cameras in Peel.
At a Peel Police Services Board meeting on Friday, October 25, Brown brought forth a motion for new CCTV cameras to be installed along Highways 410 and 403.
The motion cites a significant number of violent crimes that have recently taken in place in the Region of Peel, stating, "Many of these crimes have occurred along the 410 Highway in Brampton." The motion also argues that circuit cameras have been proven to reduce instances of crime and help with police investigations.
“Being a Safe City is a core priority for our City Council and we will continue to focus on providing the necessary resources to keep Brampton a safe city to live, work and play," says Brown.
The motion, which calls for the Peel Police Service Board to work with the provincial government for the approval and funding of these cameras, was seconded by Vice Chair Ron Chatha and approved.
"The recent targeted gang shootings on the 410 have in part been due to the lack of cameras and the quick ability to vacate the scene. We can’t permit blind spots like this that gangs are obviously taking advantage of.”
Do you agree with the decision to install new CCTV cameras along the 410 and 403?
- Police called after racism discussions become heated at Peel District School Board meeting
- Canada issues travel advisory warning for India
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Car drives on sidewalk in Mississauga
- Tim Hortons is implementing changes to its Tims Rewards loyalty program
- Five Reasons You Need to Try This Amazing Egyptian Restaurant in Mississauga
- "No Body Cameras" One of the Topics Discussed at Peel Police Meeting in Mississauga
- More Traffic Cameras May Be Coming to Mississauga
- Five New Red Light Cameras Coming to Mississauga
- Over a Dozen New Red Light Cameras Coming to Brampton and Mississauga
- PICK A SIDE: Will speed cameras actually prevent speeding?