Brampton man facing numerous theft and assault charges after day-long crime spree in Owen Sound
A Brampton man is facing 29 charges after a crime spree that ended in a police chase and three damaged police cruisers in Berkeley last Friday night.
Police say Nelson Toste, 40, of Brampton, stole five vehicles, threatened and assaulted people, hit three people with a vehicle and then made several attempts to evade police before he was boxed in and arrested.
Grey Bruce OPP say they first received report of a theft at a gas station around 8:15 a.m. on Toronto Street North in Grey Highlands.
A little more than an hour later the same suspect, driving a Chrysler 300, allegedly struck a person and hit the front of a Daisy Mart on 14th Street 4th Avenue West.
Police would locate and arrest the man for fleeing the scene of an accident. He was released and scheduled to appear in court later that morning.
At 12:30 p.m. at a Shoppers Drug Mart in Owen Sound, police say the same suspect entered an unlocked car and ordered a 16-year-old teenager seated in the vehicle out of the car before the suspect drove away.
A short while later police would spot the man at a local car dealership, but the suspect refused to stop. He would go on to steal a truck at the dealership.
After several more incidents throughout the day, OPP were able to box in the suspect and arrest him at 7:25 p.m.
The OPP has charged Toste with:
- - Three counts of robbery
- - Three counts of assault causing bodily harm
- - Four counts of dangerous driving
- - Three counts of assault
- - Three counts of failing to comply with probation
- - Two counts of theft of a motor vehicle and
- - Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- - Utter threats to cause death or bodily harm
- - Theft over $5,000
- - Theft under $5,000
- - Failure to comply with an undertaking
- - Drive while suspended
Owen Sound police have charged Toste with:
- - Failure to remain
- - Robbery
- - Theft of a motor vehicle
- - Breach of a release order
- - Breach of probation
Toste remains in custody and will appear in bail court by video on Wednesday in Owen Sound.
Police are asking anyone with information regarding incidents in the investigation to call 1-888-310-1122 or leave anonymous tips with Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
- Brampton suspect arrested, released, arrested again after day-long crime spree
- Two arrested in vehicle theft investigation; police seize vehicles, drugs and cash
- Multiple charges laid in car theft crime spree
- Man Facing Charges Following Theft from LCBO in Mississauga
- WANTED: Police Still Searching for Mississauga Theft Suspect
- VIDEO: Canada Post truck rollover leads to major delays on 401 in Mississauga
- VIDEO: Aftermath of double fatal collision in Mississauga
- Brief foot pursuit leads to arrest of Mississauga man after a pair of pharmacy robberies
- Frost advisory in effect for Mississauga, Brampton, Hamilton and Milton
- $100,000 prize for Brampton winner of Big Brother Canada