Brampton man charged, Oshawa man wanted in 401 drive-by shooting at Houdini memorial
Three people have been arrested and Toronto Police have identified three more in connection with a brazen Highway 401 drive-by shooting in North York last year that left two men wounded.
The incident occurred June 9, 2020 at a memorial service for Toronto rapper Demarjio Jenkins, also known as Houdini, in a parking lot behind Blaxx Caribbean Restaurant and Dive Bar on Beverly Hills Drive.
Houdini himself was gunned down on a downtown sidewalk the month before.
A large crowd had gathered for the memorial in the restaurant’s back lot (which backs onto the highway), and police say a car traveling westbound on the 401 pulled over onto the shoulder and at least one shooter got out and opened fire, causing the crowd in the parking lot to “scramble for cover.”
At least nine people in the crowd returned fire, and continuing firing into the busy highway for about 45 seconds, though police say the highway shooter(s) made their escape four seconds after the first shot.
At least 60 shell casings were found at the scene.
Two men checked themselves into hospital that night suffering from gunshot wounds and those two - Traequan Mahoney, 21, of Brampton and Gaddiel Ledinek, 25, of Newmarket - are among the three arrested last week by Toronto Police.
Maurice Donegan, 37, of Toronto is the other man charged.
All three are facing multiple gun-related charges, including Discharge Firearm with Intent to Wound, Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm and Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm.
Police have also identified Javontae Johnson, 19, of Oshawa, Terrell Burke Whittaker, 25, of Brampton and Glen Danchie, 30, of Toronto, as suspects involved in the shooting and have issued warrants for their arrests.
Police have not said if they have identified the shooter(s) from the vehicle on the highway.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7350, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, online on our Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637).
- One Brampton man wanted, another at-large, following shooting at memorial for hip-hop artist
- Mississauga Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Toronto Shooting
- Toronto teen charged with attempted murder in Mississauga shooting
- Canada-wide arrest warrant issued for 17 year old allegedly involved in fatal shooting
- Two Brampton men facing charges after police seize drugs and firearm
- One year old girl pulled from backyard pool without vital signs in Burlington
- Oldest theatre in Mississauga is closing permanently
- The controversial aircraft built and destroyed in Mississauga
- $6 million Lotto 649 jackpot win went to an Ontario ticket holder
- Police responding to males trying to jump from bridge into Credit River in Mississauga