Brampton man charged in death of teenager struck by boat last summer near Kitchener
Following a lengthy investigation by the Ontario Provincial Police, a Brampton man now faces charges after a teenager was struck and killed by a boat on Conestogo Lake last summer.
The incident occurred on July 26 at the lake in Mapleton Township located north of Kitchener.
After receiving a call, emergency crews pulled Tania Yonan, 13, of Kitchener from the lake after she had been struck by a boat. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The investigation involved Wellington County OPP's Technical Collision Investigators, Crime Unit and Marine Unit.
Charged with careless operation of a vessel, unsafe operation of a vessel, and failing to ensure the safety of a craft and persons on board is Ayad Warda, 60, of Brampton.
Warda has a court date scheduled for February 12 in Guelph.
(OPP file photo)
- Lake search for missing Oakville man continues as boat is found
- First responders attending to boat in distress on Lake Ontario in Mississauga
- Missing Mississauga Man Found Dead Following Boat Crash
- Police Make “Dramatic” Rescue on Lake Ontario in Mississauga
- Mississauga Man Charged for Dangerous Behaviour on the Water
- Two Brampton residents killed in highway crash near Cornwall
- COVID-19 outbreak declared at Mississauga secondary school
- If COVID vaccines ‘essential,’ Canadians could get shots in U.S. and no quarantine
- Grocery store employees in Mississauga and Brampton test positive for COVID-19
- MAYORS CHAT: Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown chats COVID-19, outdoor activities, vaccines for children – May 14, 2021