Brampton fire department offers tips to local residents to avoid dangerous home fires

By

Published June 28, 2021 at 6:15 pm

bbq

Summer is shaping up to be hot enough in Brampton without adding the danger and expense of an unnecessary home fire.

Brampton Fire and Emergency Services wants to remind local residents of the importance of doing what they can to minimize the potential of kitchen and garage fires, both leading causes of fire.

​”Unattended cooking is the No. 1 cause of residential fires in Brampton,” said Bill Boyes, Fire Chief, Brampton Fire and Emergency Services. “An untidy garage and barbecuing inside a garage is dangerous and can also cause fires. We are asking that residents do their part to keep their families, homes and our community safe.”

Brampton Fires and Emergency Services offers residents the following tips to be home safe home:

  • Avoid distractions such as using mobile devices, completing household chores, drinking or using recreational drugs while cooking.
  • A fire safe garage is a clean and tidy garage. Reduce fire risk by removing leaves and trash from carports and garages.
  • Keep flammable and combustible materials away from hot vehicles or parts.
  • Only use barbecues outside. Using barbecues indoors or in enclosed spaces like a garage is a fire hazard and risks exposing family and friends to carbon monoxide.

For more information on Brampton Fire and Emergency Services and fire safety tips, visit here.

insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies

Related News

advertising