Brampton and Mississauga may charge more for waste collection services in 2020
The Region of Peel is currently considering whether they should be charging residents more in 2020 for waste collection services.
The charges are a means to offset operational costs which have increased.
On Thursday, October 31, 2019, at the Waste Management Strategic Advisory Meeting, Peel Public Works staff will be presenting the proposed increase.
The increases would include the following and come into effect on January 1, 2020.
- Community recycling centre tip fees
- Garbage bag tags
- Agriculture compost sales
As operating costs and cost recovery increases annually, fee increases are recommended since there has not been an increase since 2012, according to a report by Peel Public Works.
This report also states that CRC drop-off fees in the regions of Durham, Halton, Toronto and York all cost more than $100.
Flat rates are charged in the Peel region by type of vehicle and when weigh scales are non-operational.
Garbage tag fees in Peel cost $1 and have not increased since 2002. This is the lowest fee for tags among the other regional municipalities.
In 2020, the cost is estimated to be $3 per 20-kilogram bag of garbage.
If the recommended fee increases are approved, they will be included in the waste management 2020 budget submission. A budget of $15,000 has been allocated from the 2019 operating budget to let residents know about the increases.
Should the fees not be approved, there will be a loss of $1.9 million in potential revenue.
- Region of Peel approves tax increase for 2020 in Mississauga
- Peel District School Board Increases Facility Rental Fees Due To Provincial Funding Cuts
- Some fees and transit fares could increase in Mississauga
- Important garbage and waste collection news for Mississauga residents
- Increased Fees and Expenses Could be in Store for Mississauga Residents
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: World's largest cargo plane lands at Pearson Airport with medical supplies
- PHOTOS: Massive $50,000,000 mansion with gold-lining is for sale in Mississauga
- Newly-released data indicates that Mississauga is a hotspot for COVID-19
- House of the Week: $2 mil home with gorgeous, upgraded interior
- Peel releases map data showing COVID-19 cases and hotspots