Both Niagara boards will switch to online teaching if labour strike continues
Published November 4, 2022 at 3:06 pm
The Niagara Catholic District School Board (NCDSB) and the District School Board of Niagara (DSBN) have no better idea than parents and students if the CUPE strike will continue next week.
However, they are starting to plan for that possibility.
The DSBN has said, “If CUPE members continue to withdraw their services on Monday, then all DSBN schools will remain closed to students for in-person learning. Please be assured that if schools remain closed on Monday, teachers will be providing remote learning opportunities to students.”
The NCDSB had already offered some online programming today with their Asynchronous learning, meaning online learning that allows students to view instructional materials each week at any time they choose but does not include a live teacher component.
Whether the NCDSB switched to remote learning remains to be seen.
As for Monday, November 7 and the rest of next week, it’s still a wait-and-see game for both.
Said the NCDSB, “We will provide parents with updated information as soon as possible and no later than Sunday to help you prepare for next week.”
Echoed the DSBN, “We will be monitoring this situation closely over the weekend, and we will share an update as soon as it’s available, or no later than 6PM on Sunday, November 6.”
However, the Catholic board said some programs, particularly daycare, may stay open, saying:
- Student transportation, Community Use of School permits and extracurricular activities will be cancelled for the day.
- The EarlyON Centres at St. Anthony and St. George Catholic Elementary Schools will be closed.
- Full-day childcares at Loretto Catholic, St. Gabriel Lalemant, Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Our Lady of Fatima Grimsby will be open. Childcare centres at St. Nicholas and St. Martin Catholic Elementary Schools will be closed.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising