Bianca Andreescu withdraws from tournament due to injury
Mississauga native and tennis superstar Bianca Andreescu has withdrawn from the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) finals due to a knee injury.
On Oct. 31, Andreescu's withdrawal was announced on the WTA Final's official Twitter page.
"I had a scan Thursday to check my knee after last night's match, and unfortunately the results show that I need to withdraw," Andreescu is quoted as saying.
On Oct. 28, Andreescu had her very first face off against Simona Halep, another top player with a recent big win under her belt after winning the 2019 Wimbledon Championships back in July.
Unfortunately, the Mississauga native wasn't able to snag victory that time, with Halep taking the latter two sets to win the match.
Despite this setback, it's been an incredible year for Andreescu.
She's taken the tennis world by storm, winning several major tournaments, including the U.S. Open. At the Open, she defeated tennis royalty and living legend Serena Williams in straight sets.
She became the first Canadian to ever win a Grand Slam singles title this season--when a player wins the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the U.S. Open--as well as the first-ever Grand Slam winner born in the 2000s.
She's still just 19 years old.
As far as the WTA finals go, first alternate Sofia Kenin will face Elina Svitolina on Friday.
- Amazing Aerial Shots of Mississauga From The 70s
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of stolen tractor-trailer smashing into a gas station and vehicles in Mississauga
- Mississauga residents celebrating group lotto win
- Bonus House of the Week: Iconic and Mysterious Castle House in Mississauga
- Police searching for missing nine-year-old boy from Mississauga
- Mississauga's Bianca Andreescu faces defeat by Wimbledon champion Simona Halep
- BREAKING: Mississauga Tennis Star Bianca Andreescu Becomes First Canadian to Win US Open Women's Singles
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu to Face Serena Williams in Rogers Cup Finals
- Mississauga tennis champ Bianca Andreescu will sit out Australian Open due to knee injury
- Bianca Andreescu forced to withdraw from tournament due to injury