Beware the Porch Grinch Durham Police warns residents from Clarington to Pickering to Whoville
Published December 9, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Durham Region Police are warning residents down in Whoville to protect their delivered packages from the Porch Grinch’s “wonderful, awful idea” to steal Christmas.
Some sit on Mt. Crumpit, hearts two sizes too small. They eye Durham’s porches, fingers drumming, thinking of ways to stop Christmas from coming.
But Durham Police have some tips to keep online orders safe:
- Send packages to another address where someone will be home or to a post office or a pick-up locker
- Have the deliverer hide the package out of sight, or provide a lockbox
- Sign up for delivery alerts
- Install visible cameras with a clear view of the delivery location
- Advertise your security system
- Keep large debris or shrubbery away from the door stave of Grinches who would have slithered and slunk to your package
- Request non-descriptive packaging
- Research the seller’s theft policy.
Follow our tips and be smart just like foxes,
Porch Grinches are looking to steal all your boxes
Install a camera, and of this thief you’ll get pics
To make an arrest we’ll send Police Service Dog Six pic.twitter.com/nxOnEYjWAU
— Durham Regional Police (@DRPS) December 9, 2021
Finally, police advise any thefts to be reported online. It’s unlikely these Grinches realize Christmas doesn’t come from a store, or that maybe Christmas means a little bit more.
With files from Dr. Seuss.
insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising