Bed bug sightings decreased nearly 20 per cent in Canada: survey
We've all heard the expression 'don't let the bed bugs bite,' but for some, particularly those who live in the GTA, it's more than just a saying.
On Tuesday (January 26) Orkin Canada released their annual bed bug survey, and this year's findings showed promising results.
Based on the findings, bed bug sightings have decreased by nearly 20 per cent compared to last year--the biggest decrease since Orkin started the survey five years ago.
The drop has been attributed to lengthy lockdowns throughout much of 2020, as well as stay-at-home orders, and a general shift for many employees to working from home.
However, as businesses begin reopening, and employees return to workplaces, Orkin is predicting another surge in bed bug infestations, largely due to their ability to travel long distances and the fact they double in population every 16 days.
The findings are based on the number of commercial and residential bed bug treatments carried out by the company in 2020.
According to the survey, the top-five most infested Canadian cities in ascending order were Winnipeg, Vancouver, Oshawa, Sudbury, and Toronto.
Additionally, Hamilton was the 13th-most-infested city, while Mississauga was 16th, and Brampton was 25th.
- Mississauga named second most rat-infested city in Ontario
- Here’s Where Mississauga Ranks on the List of Worst Bed Bug Cities in Canada
- Mississauga experiences biggest spike in housing prices in Canada so far this year: survey
- Here's where Mississauga ranks on the list of worst cities for bedbugs
- Small businesses already seeing drop in sales due to COVID-19: CFIB survey
- Pearson Airport in Mississauga welcome 19 international and 13 domestic flights with COVID-19
- Police responding to male with firearm in Mississauga convenience store
- International travelers are walking out of Mississauga's Pearson Airport and ignoring quarantine rules
- All COVID-19 cases in Mississauga schools for the week of Feb 22 to 26
- Ontario ticket holder wins $70 million Lotto Max jackpot