Auto theft investigation in Oakville leads to numerous gun, drug charges for Brantford man
A Brantford man is facing numerous gun, drug and vehicle theft charges in relation to a stolen vehicle investigation in Oakville.
Halton Regional Police arrested the man after observing him in a stolen 2018 Audi S5 on Monday (April 3) in the area of Hyde Park Gate and Dundas St. W.
The vehicle had been reported stolen and re-vinned, meaning it had a fraudulently fabricated VIN attached to it so it would not appear stolen when queried.
Members of the 2 District Criminal Investigations Bureau arrested the man as he returned to the vehicle around 8 p.m.
A search of the vehicle resulted in the seizure of the following:
- Glock handgun and full magazine
- Approximately 22 grams of cocaine
- Approximately 34 grams of fentanyl
- 269 grams of cannabis
- 227 Percocet pills
- Approximately $10,000 in cash
Jerome Swaby, 30, of Brantford was charged with:
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000
- Careless Use of a Firearm
- Weapons Dangerous
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing it’s Possession is Unauthorized
- Possession of a Restricted Firearm
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing Serial Number has been Altered
- Operation While Prohibited
- Fail to Comply with Undertaking
- Possess Cannabis for the Purpose of Selling
- Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking – Fentanyl
- Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine
- Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking – Oxycodone
The investigation determined that Swaby is currently on an Undertaking for offences that occurred in Toronto.
He was held in custody pending a bail hearing.
Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the 2 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 905-825-4777, ext. 2216.
Tips can also be submitted anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or through their website at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca.insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising