Arts in Mississauga: Photography Gallery Event
If you visit insauga.com on the regular, you've probably noticed Wil Yeung's very chic and artfully composed photographs of food, events and local landmarks. The Oakville-born photographer is a bit of a jack of all trades, working and having worked as a photographer, musician and teacher. He's also a big foodie, which is important for anyone who wants to work with us.
Yeung recently decided that the best way to share his photos -- chiefly his wedding work, but also some landscape pieces -- with Mississauga is to host a gallery. If you're getting married, know someone who is or are just into romantic photos, you might want to check out his three-day exhibit at Port Credit's Promenade Gallery on the weekend of Oct. 2.
We recently sat down with Yeung to chat a little about his event.
1) Tell me a little about your work in general
I've been in professional photography for about six years now and I'm very privileged to have worked with the most wonderful people! Weddings are my primary work; however, I am also experienced in commercial and landscape photography.
2) What are the event details?
The Wedding Photography Gallery is on Oct 2 (6 - 9pm), Oct 3 (10 am - 6pm) and Oct 4 (10 am - 3pm) at the Promenade Gallery. I will also have some of my landscape work on display and also for sale to add a bit of variety. I'd like to encourage everyone to swing by and there is no cost for admission.
3) What inspired you to book this showing?
This is the first time I'm trying this concept. I always imagined that it would be neat for couples to be able to see my work in tangible form on display at a gallery instead of an online portfolio. I'll also be there in person, too!
4) Why did you pick Mississauga?
Mississauga is such a vibrant city, and a lot of young professionals live here. There's also a wonderful arts scene in Mississauga and I want to support it
5) Why do you specialize in wedding photography? What’s special or inspirational about weddings?
It's kind of silly to say but even though I've been to so many weddings locally and internationally, seeing two people express their love at the ceremony just never gets old. It's really an amazing feeling to work with wonderful people on the best day of their lives.
6) What do you think sets your work apart? What makes your photographs unique?
I always focus on quality over quantity. ALWAYS! I like to put couples in unique lighting scenarios and create images that have a bit of a narrative. I see a lot of wide angle type of wedding images now - they're funky, hip and sort of GoPro-ish. But I like to do the opposite and compress my composition to give images more of an intimate, more romantic narrative.
Some past photo articles by Wil Yeung:
5 Places to Take Engagement Photos in Mississauga
7) What kind of work will be displayed?
The gallery will be in two sections. One will be some of my best landscape work - which will be for sale. The other section will be displayed in sort of a story of a wedding day from the getting ready to the first dance.
8) What do you hope to achieve with this presentation?
I hope that couples will take advantage of this unique concept and swing by, even just to chat with me! Ultimately, I hope couples find it helpful to see my work in a fun way.
9) Who are you hoping to attract to the event?
The event is open to anyone from newly engaged couples to wedding planners to just the photo enthusiast.
10) How many pictures will you be displaying?
I will be displaying around 30-35 images in total for weddings and landscapes.
11) Will there be refreshments? If so, what kinds?
There will some baked goods made from a local wedding vendor for visitors to enjoy.
12) Why did you choose the Promenade gallery?
The Promenade Gallery does a lot of wonderful work for the Mississauga community, and I was thrilled to have been able to book the space. I'm very happy to support them!
- Police Release List of Complaints Made to 911 Regarding Amber Alert for Murdered 11 Year Old Girl
- Popular Grocery Store Opening Brand New Location in Mississauga
- House of the Week: Magnificent $5.3 Mil Mansion with Tennis Court
- Teen Caught Driving Insane Speed on 403 in Mississauga
- Robbery Suspects Flee After Crashing Vehicle in Mississauga