Archery Tag Coming to Mississauga
Have you ever wanted to shoot your best friend or partner in the chest with a literal arrow? How about your least favourite co-worker or sibling?
Now, with the opening of Archery Terminal -- Mississauga's first indoor archery tag facility -- set for May, you might just get the chance to non-fatally pierce the armor of a friend or loved one.
We recently chatted with Archery Terminal founder Ray Fung to learn more about this up and coming trend. So, for those of you interested in acting out your Katniss (or Legolas, if you're slightly more vintage) fantasies, here's a rundown of what you can expect from Archery Terminal.
1) When will Archery Terminal be opening? Do you have an official opening date yet? If so, is there anything special planned for the grand opening?
Archery Terminal will be opening in May. We have some fantastic things planned for our Grand Opening, but we don't want to give anything away at this moment. Stay tuned to our Facebook and website for details!
2) How long have you been a fan of archery tag? Where do you usually go to play? How did you first find out about the concept?
We first found out about archery tag through our friends and once we tried it, we were hooked. We found it to be a good way to exercise and have fun while you were doing it!
3) What inspired you to set up shop in Mississauga?
Looking at Mississauga, there are some unique recreational activities in the city. Understanding that the city has a very diverse and active population, it made perfect sense to open our facility in this area.
4) What will set your facility apart and make it different from other archery tag places?
Our facility is over 10,000 sqft (with a 22 ft high ceiling) and offers a lounge for players to relax and spectate other players. In addition, we are conveniently located near highways 410 and 401, allowing easy access to our facility wherever you're from. A lot of archery tag events are hosted outdoors, but we are an indoor facility that is open all year round.
5) Who is your main audience? Families? Groups of friends? Younger people?
Besides our age restriction of 12 years old and older, our main audience is open to all demographics. From our experience, people do tend to come in large groups to enjoy the experience with friends and family. This activity is also perfect for team building, such as corporate events and social events for different organizations.
6) How does archery tag work? How is a basic game played?
It's very similar to dodge ball, except you play with bows and foam-tipped arrows. A game consists of 8-24 players divided into two teams. A safety zone is set between the two teams and is the starting point where the foam-tipped arrows are placed. The objective of the game is to disqualify the competing opponents. A player is eliminated by tagging him/her with an arrow, or by catching his/her arrow from mid air. Another way to win is to knock out all targets (five pieces) of the opposing side. A "tagged" player can be called back into the game when a target is knocked out or when a teammate catches an arrow.
7) Will there be any special packages for large groups or people celebrating events such as birthdays?
We will definitely have something in store for large groups and events. Again the best way to stay updated is through our Facebook and website.
8) What are some major archery tag rules? Are there any major safety rules people should know about?
Safety is probably the number one thing that comes to mind for an activity like this. Each player is provided a protective mask and players experience virtually no pain when being tagged with the foam-tipped arrow. Each game will have a referee to ensure game rules and safety protocols are followed. Below are the rules:.
1. NEVER take off your safety mask while inside the arena.
2. NEVER shoot arrows at someone from point-blank range or in the safety zone.
3. NEVER shoot a broken arrow or one without the foam tip.
4. NEVER dry fire the bow (shooting the bow without an arrow).
5. ALWAYS follow the referee's instructions while inside the arena.
6. ALWAYS keep shoes on.
9) What should people wear?
We recommend sports attire with clean running shoes to play. If people like to have team spirits, they may dress colour coded or even come in costumes!
10) Is it a good activity for children or geared towards an older demographic?
We do have an age restriction of 12 years old or older and those under 16 must be supervised by a parent/guardian. Having said that, we believe it's a fun activity no matter the age. It's a great way to get some exercise with friends and family!
11) Why do you think archery tag is growing in popularity?
One huge contributing factor is the exposure archery has gotten in the movie/TV industry. Hunger Games has been a very successful franchise, Avengers with Hawkeye and the TV series Arrow showcases archery to the mass population. This creates curiousity and Archery Terminal is a place where you can enjoy the sport no matter your level of experience.
In addition, more and more people are looking for new ways to stay active and have fun at the same time. We think this is the perfect activity for it! It allows you to share the experience and fun with your friends and help maintain an active lifestyle.
12) How do you think people in Mississauga will respond to your facility? Have you already generated a lot of buzz?
We think Mississauga will be very receptive to our facility; we just need to get the word out there! Our marketing has strictly been focused on sharing through social media. We have already started to receive inquiries on when we are opening and how to book. With our Grand Opening coming up in May, we are hoping to generate even more buzz for Archery Terminal!
- Police ticket street racers and spectators at mall parking lot in Mississauga
- House of the Week: $3.1 mil Mississauga Road home overlooking ravine
- Air Canada revising refund policy with cancelled flight options
- Popular American chicken joint goes international, opening new locations in Ontario
- Top 5 Biggest Parks in Mississauga