Anti-Theft Bottle Caps Coming to LCBO Locations in Mississauga
While they can’t wipe out theft entirely, LCBO knows a little extra security goes a long way in helping to curtail the problem.
The alcoholic beverage retailer is introducing “BottleLox” — large, plastic caps placed on the tops of bottles — to LCBO locations in all regions this fall.
The initiative began as a pilot project in only a few locations to test the effectiveness of the caps, which prevent the bottles from being easily opened unless they’re removed properly at check-out.
In addition, BottleLox also features chip-enabled technology that trips an alarm if activated. Front-door security pedestals that detect the chips have been tested at several locations.
"The results were phenomenal," said Lou Recchi, LCBO’s district manager. "Some stores that were writing off quite a few units of product due to theft were suddenly only writing off one or two bottles."
As a result of the caps’ effectiveness, the retailer has purchased a large supply of BottleLox that it plans to roll out to “strategic” locations in all regions — i.e. locations that have been targets for frequent theft in the past.
"Security and safety is top-of-mind for the LCBO," said Recchi, who says “combating theft is a key priority.”
- Police Investigating Shots Fired into Mississauga Residence
- UPDATE: Arrest Made in Connection with Armed Kidnapping of 22-Year-Old
- Police Make One of the Largest Gun Seizures in Region’s History
- Police Searching for Missing Mississauga Male
- Report Suggests Criminal Money is Driving Up Housing Prices in the GTA
- Should This New LCBO Service Come to Locations in Mississauga?
- Man Facing Charges Following Theft from LCBO in Mississauga
- These Mississauga LCBO Locations Are Now Offering Extended Hours
- Some LCBO Locations in Mississauga Offering Extended Hours
- LCBO Online Ordering System Faltering in Mississauga (and Beyond)