Anti-Theft Bottle Caps Coming to LCBO Locations in Mississauga
While they can’t wipe out theft entirely, LCBO knows a little extra security goes a long way in helping to curtail the problem.
The alcoholic beverage retailer is introducing “BottleLox” — large, plastic caps placed on the tops of bottles — to LCBO locations in all regions this fall.
The initiative began as a pilot project in only a few locations to test the effectiveness of the caps, which prevent the bottles from being easily opened unless they’re removed properly at check-out.
In addition, BottleLox also features chip-enabled technology that trips an alarm if activated. Front-door security pedestals that detect the chips have been tested at several locations.
"The results were phenomenal," said Lou Recchi, LCBO’s district manager. "Some stores that were writing off quite a few units of product due to theft were suddenly only writing off one or two bottles."
As a result of the caps’ effectiveness, the retailer has purchased a large supply of BottleLox that it plans to roll out to “strategic” locations in all regions — i.e. locations that have been targets for frequent theft in the past.
"Security and safety is top-of-mind for the LCBO," said Recchi, who says “combating theft is a key priority.”
- OPSEU urges LCBO to adopt stronger anti-theft practices in Mississauga
- Should This New LCBO Service Come to Locations in Mississauga?
- Man Facing Charges Following Theft from LCBO in Mississauga
- These Mississauga LCBO Locations Are Now Offering Extended Hours
- Some LCBO Locations in Mississauga Offering Extended Hours
- McDonald’s showing appreciation for Canadian teachers
- Brampton driving school instructor charged with sexual offences
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Mississauga with reported COVID-19 cases – September 29
- COVID-19: Ontario reports 625 new cases and on track for 1,000 a day, modelling shows
- Three women injured in Mississauga apartment attack