Another Weather Warning Issued for Mississauga
Same brutal forecast — 2018 begins with a bitterly cold day.
An extreme cold warning is in effect for Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton Hills, Brampton, and Caledon.
“A multi-day episode of very cold wind chills is expected,” reads the Environment Canada warning issued at 4:44 a.m. Monday.
You can expect wind chill values hovering around - 30 C or below this morning -- they'll moderate during daytime hours today, however, the federal weather agency predicts, “latest indications continue to show that these very cold conditions may persist into Tuesday for most areas before moderating somewhat around midweek.”
Extreme cold puts everyone at risk, according to the federal weather agency.
Here are some not-so-subtle reminders:
- Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.
- Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.
- Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.
- Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.
- Keep emergency supplies in your vehicle such as extra blankets and jumper cables.
- If it's too cold for you to stay outside, it's too cold for your pet to stay outside.
- Outdoor workers should take regularly scheduled breaks to warm up.
- Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia.
(Source: Environment Canada)
- Very Exciting Event Coming to Massive Entertainment Facility
- CLOSURE: Two Pakistani restaurants closed for health violations in Mississauga
- Here’s why Mississauga residents should vote strategically this election
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Aftermath of fatal crash that claimed two lives in Mississauga
- Schools in hold and secure due to attempted carjacking in Mississauga