Andreescu wins marathon to move on to quarters at Miami Open
Mississauga’s Bianca Andreescu is pushing through at the Miami Open.
The No. 9 ranked player in the world needed two hours and 44 minutes to gut out a 7-6 (4), 6-7 (2), 6-4 third-round victory over American Amanda Anisimova on Sunday night.
Andreescu, seeded eighth in the tournament, will now face No. 12 seed Garbine Muguruza of Spain in the quarterfinals on Monday night.
Getting there wasn’t easy for Andreescu. She struggled in the second set giving up two breaks while letting a 2-0 lead slip away.
“My game, I know that it can be better, but I’m trying to find ways to push through on my off days, and I think I’m doing that well,” the 20-year-old said on the WTA website.
“I think that’s what makes a really good player, and I’m trying to be that really good player like I was in 2019. I did that today, and I just want to fight and give it my all and then the rest will come.”
Down 2-1 in the third set, Andreescu needed a medical timeout for blisters in her hand. She grabbed control of the set in the fifth game and never looked back after that.
In her last meeting with Muguruza, Andreescu cruised to an easy 6-0, 6-1 win in Indian Hills back in 2019.
“I’m going to do my best with treatment, best with food, best with sleep, all that stuff,” Andreescu said. “I have played tough matches like this (and) had to play the next day, so I kind of know what to expect.
“I have to be on my A-game (Monday) because I know Muguruza is very tough to play.”
- Mississauga's Andreescu fights way into Miami Open quarterfinals
- Mississauga's Andreescu to play in Miami Open finals against #1 in the world
- Mississauga's Andreescu outlasts Sorribes Tormo to earn spot in Miami Open semifinals
- Mississauga Tennis Player Bianca Andreescu Makes it to Finals in California Tournament
- Bianca Andreescu advances to round of 16
- Brampton truck driver charged for smuggling cocaine into Canada
- Alarmingly 20% of all Brampton being tested currently have COVID-19
- Mississauga boxing gym defying provincial lockdown orders facing charges by City
- Gun play has police on the scene at Brampton neighbourhood
- Mississauga ticketing for gathering in parks to home hair salons and more