An iconic lighthouse will be lit up for the festive season in Mississauga
Just because we cannot gather together, doesn’t mean that we cannot celebrate together.
The pandemic has caused us to tap into our creative side when it comes to celebrations and Christmas tree lightings and we can now enjoy them from the comfort of our homes.
Port Credit’s Lighting of the Lighthouse is a local family-friendly celebration and well-loved Port Credit tradition that is celebrated every year with free hot chocolate, refreshments, treats and entertainment by local students. Even though things are different this year, the tradition will still continue in a safe way.
“For a number of years, we have enjoyed the lighting of the Lighthouse in Port Credit,” said Stephen Dasko, Ward 1 Councillor, in a statement. “Although we can’t gather in person this year to light the lighthouse, we can do it virtually to ensure the tradition continues.”
Community members say the lighting will bring some cheer to the community.
“Now more than ever we need some brightness to bring some life to Port Credit during these difficult times,” said Jake Pedler, Chair of the Port Credit BIA, in a statement.
Pedler says this year, they have invested in street lighting for 56 trees along the strip and enhanced lighting around the Lighthouse.
“With the generosity from Brightwater and the PCCF, the lighting in Port Credit has never looked better,” Pedler says.
Karen Priest, secretary of the Port Credit Community Foundation says Port Credit is recognized as a tourist destination and the century-old Lighthouse at the mouth of Credit River is a Port Credit icon; a visual centrepiece of the community.
To watch the virtual Lighting of the Lighthouse, visit their website.
Cover photo courtesy of @idris.yyz
- The Iconic Port Credit Lighthouse is About to Get a New Look
- An Interesting Change is Coming to Port Credit's Iconic Lighthouse
- Port Credit Harbour Way Back in the Day
- The Heart of Port Credit is Back in Mississauga
- Multiple groups come together to create special Port Credit-only gift card in Mississauga
- Mississauga woman speechless after massive lottery win
- VIDEO: Mississauga Youtuber Kyle Forgeard surprises his parents by letting them retire early
- A barbershop reopens during the lockdown as a film production studio
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Anti-police brutality group hangs highway banner calling for justice in Mississauga
- Mississauga church youth group leader arrested for sexual assault